Hair Today, Where tomorrow?

Hair today ,Where tomorrow?

I was born with beautiful silken curls which I lost to my mundan (hair tonsuring ceremony). What followed was a frizzy mane comparable to the coarse volcanic sands of the Tenerife (one of the beaches in Canary Islands).
Ours were simpler times, so I went through school just fine. It was only when I entered college, that I realised that people had hair which doesn't puff up on every wash or when left open. People had smoother, shinier, softer hair!
Which is also when I discovered the joys of magic straighteners. They could give me everything I wanted. I worshipped them soon to find a salon which could make my hair "permanently" straight!
A treatment which would cost exorbitant amount of money and time. But I wanted it. I went with the dictionary meaning of permanent, something that lasts forever.
And I wanted it! My hair lustorus, forever!
The initial few months , I loved flicking my hair about and running my fingers through them. It was magic UNTIL the frizzy roots began to shoot up again. Hair straighteners found their way back to me. And of course the morning tussle with my hair. I wasn't having any of it. So I went back to socrers that lived in fancy hair salons. They promised me treatments after treatments and shampoos after shampoo every few months but the despairs of unruly hair kept coming back.
And I decided I had had ENOUGH!
I looked at my mother's hair. It was when it hit me. "It's in my genes and you don't go about messing with your gene pool"

So here's what I have learnt:
* Do NOT succumb to fancy treatments. The results are NOT everlasting. Infact they end up causing even more damage. Your hair looks older than you are.
*Go NATURAL. Chemicals are just NOT worth it. Apply a weekly mask of yogurt, aloe vera, egg, honey and coconut oil to your hair. It will thank you later.
* EMBRACE your gene pool. It is NOT as shaggy as it is in your head.
*Do NOT spend excessive amounts on your hair. What it really needs, is something that is already lying in your pantry.
*Do NOT visit too many salons, they will only make you feel ugly and you are NOT ugly!

I had my Eureka moment five years ago and I do not use too many chemicals or heat on my hair (Cheat moments:an occasional blow dry for a party) but my hair is much much better now.
Acceptance is ALL you need really.

Comments

Popular Posts